Shakshuka with Chevre & Herbs
Full of delicious flavors and simple to make, this healthy breakfast combines tomatoes, spices and poached eggs, making it the perfect upgrade to any breakfast or brunch.
Serves: 4Prep: 10 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- La Brea Bakery Bread French Baguette
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 orange pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. harissa
- 1 tsp. dried chili flakes
- 1 large can (28 oz.) stewed tomatoes
- salt to taste
- 4 eggs
- goat cheese
- In a medium sized skillet over medium low heat, drizzle olive oil & begin to sauté the onions & peppers to caramelize.
- Once peppers are caramelized, add spices & stir to allow the spices to become fragrant.
- Add in tomatoes and allow sauce to bubble. Season to taste with salt.
- Lower the temperature so the sauce is just barely bubbling.
- Dig 4 'wells' in the sauce for the eggs. Crack each egg & slowly pour into the wells.
- Place a lid over the top of the skillet.
- Poach the eggs for approx 5 minutes and remove lid to test firmness – continue in 1-2 minute intervals until whites are firm and yolk is runny.
- Toast bread in oven so it is nice and crusty.
- Remove from heat & crumble goat cheese over the top.
- Cover with fresh herbs.
- Serve with crusty bread.