Corned Beef Sandwich
Transform a classic St. Patrick’s Day feast into a hand-held meal bursting with robust flavor.
Serves: 4Prep: 30 minutesCook: 3 hoursTotal: 3 hours 30 minutes
- 1 package (3 lbs.) corned beef brisket
- 1 1⁄2 pounds bag petite golden potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices of rye bread
- 1⁄2 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sauerkraut, drained
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat a Dutch oven with olive oil and brown the brisket on all sides, 5-8 minutes on each side. Season with the spice packet and rub to coat brisket. Cover with the lid. Place brisket in the oven for 2.5 hours.
- Check the brisket by inserting a fork into the meat. If it goes in easily, then it’s ready. If it’s resistant, bake for another 30-60 minutes, until it is easily pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and let it rest on a cutting board.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork.
- Toast 8 pieces of bread and place 2 tablespoons of shredded cabbage on 4 pieces of bread, then top with 2 tablespoons of shredded sauerkraut.
- Thinly slice the brisket and place 2 pieces on each piece of bread with the sauerkraut and cabbage, then top with another piece of bread.
- Serve with roasted potatoes.
- Refrigerate leftovers.