Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Craving a hot, home-cooked meal but don’t have time to actually cook it? Here’s a tip: your slow cooker can turn even the most budget-friendly ingredients into a flavorful, healthy dinner with no hands-on cooking required. Just toss in your items, turn your slow cooker on and confidently go about your business knowing that your meal will be ready and waiting when you’re ready to eat. We’ve broken down why these magical appliances are so great and gathered a few of our favorite slow cooker chicken recipes to make your weeknights a little easier (and a whole lot tastier).
Why Use a Slow Cooker?
Designed to cook your food low and slow for long periods of time, slow cookers are a must-have for new chefs, individuals who don’t like to (or don’t have time to) cook or anyone who likes a little help in the kitchen. In addition to offering a hands-off approach to meal prepping, the lower cooking temperature drastically reduces the chance of burning or overcooking food.
Another perk is that clean up is easy! Since an entire meal is cooked in a single dish, there’s little fuss in the preparation, and no mess once everything is ready to be put away. Most slow cookers come with a removable crock that can be soaked in your sink and wiped clean, but for an even easier cleanup, you can purchase single-use slow cooker liners.
Though your slow cooker can work magic on almost any cut of meat, it’s exceptionally good at cooking chicken to juicy, fall apart perfection. Here are a few must-try chicken Crock-Pot meals to add to your repertoire.
Slow Cooker Chicken Soups
Just as easy to warm up as those pre-canned versions, these slow-cooked cozy bowls of goodness might very well be the most comforting thing to ever hit your spoon.
A winning combination of Mexican-inspired flavors guarantee this one will be a favorite! Don't forget the squeeze of lime.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 3 hours
- 1 lb. chicken, cubed
- 1 can (15 oz.) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 oz.) green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen corn
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- In slow cooker, combine chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles and garlic. Pour in water, chicken broth and corn. Season with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Crush tortilla chips into serving bowl; ladle soup over top. Serve with squeeze of lime, avocado, cheese and cilantro.
This easy-to-make soup is a great way to satisfy a lasagna craving without spending time building layers.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 3 hours, 20 minutes
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 jar (16 oz.) Kroger Brand Traditional Alfredo Sauce
- 4 oz. mini farfalle, Mafalda or lasagna noodles broken into bite-size pieces
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- Shredded Italian cheese
- Season chicken with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In 5-quart or large slower cooker, combine chicken, onion, carrot, zucchini, broth and Alfredo sauce; cover. Cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. Using forks, shred chicken; return to slow cooker. Stir in pasta.
- Continue cooking 12 to 15 minutes, until the pasta is tender. Just before serving, stir in baby spinach.
- Serve topped with shredded Italian cheese blend.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
It doesn’t have to be Tuesday to enjoy a great taco dinner. These slow cooker dishes don’t just rival those of your local Mexican restaurant – they surpass them.
These delicious Crock-Pot chicken tacos can be served with guacamole, sour cream, extra salsa and chopped raw onions.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 6 hours, 15 minutes
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, peeling and chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ancho chili
- 2 tomatoes, seeded
- ½ cup salsa
- 8 taco shells
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups shredded Colby cheese
- ½ cup taco sauce or salsa
- In small bowl, mix together chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Rub mixture into chicken breasts.
- In 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine chicken and onions. Pour chicken broth over. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours, until chicken is completely cooked.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Roast ancho chili, peel and dice.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. Using forks, shred chicken; return to slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes and salsa; cover. Continue cooking 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat taco shells in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes until hot. Make tacos with chicken mixture and remaining ingredients.
Slow Cooker Sandwiches & More
Craving sandwiches, sliders or wings? Try your hand at one of these slow-cooked handhelds.
Barbecue has a reputation for being bad for you, but these Barbecue Chicken Sliders are a lighter solution to serve at any party!
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 4 hours
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- In slow cooker, mix together everything but the chicken. Place chicken in; spoon sauce over top. Cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Use forks to shred meat. Serve on slider buns with a topping of coleslaw (if desired).
With crusty hard rolls, tender chicken and tasty toppings, these sliders will go fast.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 4 hours
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 container Simple Truth Organic ™ Medium Restaurant Style Salsa
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- 12 whole grain rolls
- 1½ cups shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato, hopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 1½ cups shredded cheese
- ½ cup guacamole
- In slow cooker, arrange chicken thighs. Season with salt and pepper. Pour salsa over chicken. Cover. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 8 hours.
- Use two forks to shred chicken and incorporate juices.
- To serve, stuff rolls with chicken and remaining toppings.
There’s no reason to be chicken about using your slow cooker to whip up one of those incredibly flavorful chicken Crock-Pot meals. For even more chicken inspiration, check out the bonus recipes below or visit our ever-growing list of winning chicken recipes.