Sponsored By Kraft-Heinz
Seasoning a Chicken
Add extra flavor with a seasoning blend or glaze. When and how you season is up to you – try adding an aromatic rub up to two days before roasting or sprinkling on some herbs and spices once the chicken’s removed from the oven. To get crispy, beautiful brown skin, try applying a glaze.
Glazes, which are typically applied during the cooking process, dress your meat in an additional layer of sweet or savory flavor. When you’re ready to cook, try one of these 3-ingredient glaze ideas:
- Sweet & Spicy: honey, sriracha and lime
- Warm Honey: honey, paprika and cinnamon
- Orange-Rosemary: orange marmalade, rosemary and vinegar
- Honey-Mustard: lemon juice, mustard and honey
- Tip: If you’re short on time, use a jar of Heinz Gravy for a quick and delicious addition to your meat
How Do I Roast a Chicken?
Roasting a chicken is surprisingly simple. Preheat your oven to 350°F. While the oven preheats, pat the chicken completely dry, then generously salt the bird. Using kitchen twine, tie the drumsticks together to keep them from drying out while the breast cooks through. Place your chicken on a pan, uncovered, and stick it in the oven.
The weight of your bird will determine the length of time needed in the oven. To roast whole chicken, you’ll need approximately 25 minutes per pound. If you’re only cooking breasts or legs, cook the meat 30-45 minutes. The chicken is done when a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast or thigh reads at least 165°F.
What Can I Do with Leftover Roast Chicken?
One of the best parts about chicken is how adaptable it is. Give new life to last night’s dinner by turning leftovers into a flavorful quesadilla, family-friendly chicken casserole or fresh salad. It can also be used to add flavor and texture to soups, sandwiches, pastas and so much more.
Simple Roast Chicken
This simple roast chicken is great to make at the beginning of the week. It’s delicious on its own, and the leftovers can be used for days.
Serves: 6 | Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 1 hour, 40 minutes | Total: 2 hours | Difficulty: Easy
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place chicken in roasting pan, breast side up. Rub inside and outside of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Bake 60 minutes. Continue baking at 10-minute intervals, checking the temperature each interval, until internal temperature under thigh reads 170°F and breast reads 160°F.
- Remove chicken from oven. Add Italian seasonings to roasting juices. Use baster to gather juices in pan; gently spread over entire chicken. Repeat about 15 times. Let chicken rest in roasting pan 15 minutes.
Shop Sponsored Brand
Explore more meal inspiration on our Meal Solutions page.
Ready to shake your tail feathers in the kitchen? Check out the simple roast chicken recipe below and shop ingredients to get started.